Your Dental Health Survival Guide For Halloween
With Halloween, along come the ghosts, the goblins, and the goodies! The sugar in those treats can play some unwanted tricks on your teeth if you are not careful. The bacteria in your mouth are probably more excited to eat your Halloween candy than you are. When those bacteria eat all of that sugar an acid is produced. That acid is what can contribute to the formation of cavities.
But don’t hang up your costume just yet. Halloween is all about candy, dressing up, and having fun! It is OK to eat that candy as a Halloween splurge as long as you are brushing twice a day and flossing daily all year long. It can also be a good idea to add an extra brushing after you have some of that candy.
To help you sort through your Trick-Or-Treat loot, we have some suggestions on common candies.
– Chocolate can be one of your best bets. It is not as sticky as a lot of other candies and washes off of your teeth easier that some of the other treats.
– Be Picky If It Is Sticky. These candies are worse for your dental health because they are harder to remove from your teeth, which gives all of that pesky bacterial more time to work.
– Pass if it makes you pucker. Sour candy can be very acidic. Just like the acid made by bacteria, this can help to weaken and damage the hard outer enamel layer of your teeth.
– Be careful crunching on hard candies. They can actually break teeth if you are not careful.
And always remember, if you have any extra chocolate, Dr. Fornero will be glad to take it off your hands!